If you are involved in an accident with a truck, you need to know what to do and what not to do, to ensure you will get a fair settlement. Many people are intimidated by the highly paid truck accident attorneys that call them and make an offer. Sometimes they will try to make you think that they are doing you a favor. Sometimes they will even say this is the only chance you will have. They present the token offer as if they are doing you a favor. Don’t be fooled.
The fact is, insurance companies are not settling your case out of concern for your well-being. If they are offering you a settlement, they know they have at least some guilt in the accident.
Below, we are going to give you some tips that will protect you until you can seek counsel:
- Do not give their insurance company a statement
- Relatively soon after the accident, you will receive a call from the insurance company of the truck. They will ask you to give them your side of the story, and they will advise you that they are recording the statement. They will say it is just standard procedure. Refuse to give them a statement until you have talked to an attorney. They will use the statement to make it look like you mislead them, made a mistake, or lied.
- Don’t apologize
- Most of us are caring people. We see someone upset or hurt, and we say, “I’m so sorry this happened.” What you mean is, you are sorry this situation happened, and they are upset. What you just did is accept responsibility for the accident. Never admit guilt or let anyone convince you that you did something wrong.
- You have to call the police
- Maybe you feel bad for the guy. Maybe he says he will pay you, but if you report the accident, he will lose his job. Maybe you think it was an old car anyway, so why bother with the police. First, the law says if there is an injury, death, or property damage, you have to report it. Second, because the police can give you a report of what they see. It is unbiased, and that means a lot in court.
Contact A Lawyer As Soon As Possible
Evidence gets destroyed or lost. Witnesses forget. An attorney may step in and make offers or demands. The longer it takes to get an attorney on your side, the more time you lose. Truck companies have different laws and rules that they have to operate by. If they do not obey those laws, they are accountable. But, if you do not know about the laws, you might let them walk away with your money.
It is important that you seek medical attention as soon as you are in an accident. Your adrenaline is pumping, and you may not even know you are hurt. There have been cases where people were running around in the heat of the moment, and only later did they find out they had a broken bone in their foot.
Get as much information as you can at the scene. Take pictures. Record witnesses. As soon as you are safe, and your medical needs are being addressed, call a truck accident attorney.