New Orleans Truck Accident Lawyer – Known For Winning Seven-Figure Verdicts
- The top attorneys at the Cossé Law Firm have over 20 years of experience fighting for truck accident injury victims and have earned Spaulding Injury Law 5/5 stars – based on 10 reviews.
- Our award-winning lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means we don’t get paid unless we recover compensation on your behalf.
- Read our glowing reviews to see what it’s really like to work with a lawyer on our team.
- Schedule a free consultation with an honest and aggressive attorney from one of the best law firms in the state.
18-wheelers are huge, heavy, and hard-to-control vehicles whether the driver is maneuvering the truck within a lane, making a turn, or trying to stop. Commercial truck drivers are often paid by the mile or by the stop, which means that they have a greater incentive to drive as quickly as they can and for more hours than are legally permitted by law. When a truck driver hits another car or pedestrian, it often leads to catastrophic injuries, property damage, or even death.
If you have been involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, it is important to hire a New Orleans truck accident lawyer that has experience dealing with trucking companies, their drivers, and insurance companies. Contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at the Cossé Law Firm to schedule a free consultation today.
What Attorneys Suggest Victims Do After A Truck Accident in New Orleans, LA
If you are in an accident with an 18-wheeler, make sure to do the following:
- Call the police right away and get a police report. The police officer will do an independent investigation and provide a record of what happened before stories change.
- Take pictures of any broken glass or damage to your vehicle before the vehicles involved are moved from the roadway.
- Get the other driver’s information including a picture of his or her license, insurance card and employer’s information.
- Gather information from witnesses. A witness’s statement can be the difference between winning and losing your case.
- Call our law firm to get help from a truck accident lawyer.
Trucking companies and the insurance adjusters that work for them often get to the scene right away to take pictures and try to put the blame on you. If you or someone you know has been hit by an 18-wheeler on one of New Orleans’ busy roads, it is important that you have competent legal representation from a skilled truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
Our Experienced Lawyers Explain the Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents, in particular, are often the result of driver error. Errors can take the form of improper truck maintenance, fatigue, drug use, or simple inattention. Weighing up to 40 tons, operating a truck negligently is what leads to severe, life-altering, and even fatal truck crashes.
Fatigue is one of the most common causes of truck accidents. In fact, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration believes that driver fatigue is a factor in 40% of truck collisions. What caused fatigue to become a widespread problem? The desire to remain competitive. Trucking companies pushed tough deadlines onto drivers, encouraging them to drive through the night or in extended shifts. The result was a higher rate of truck drivers crashing their vehicles on the highway.
Related to fatigue, many truck drivers have chosen to solve their drowsiness problem with a worse solution: psychoactive drugs. Methamphetamine use has recently increased among truck drivers, particularly cross-country big-rig drivers who have demanding deadlines and not enough sleep.
Ultimately, the point of knowing what caused your truck accident is knowing how you can hold your wrongdoers accountable. Truck companies have the power to conduct drug testing, assign more doable deadlines, and maintain their fleet—when they don’t, they should be held responsible for the results.
My experiences with the Cosse Law Firm have been fantastic. The entire staff has been a pleasure and has handled every interaction in a timely and professional manner. I highly recommend the Cosse Law Firm. – Rory Picou
Top Law Firms Understand How Federal Regulations Affect Truck Accident Cases
After a devastating truck accident, the investigation will focus on the circumstances surrounding the crash. Among the most important factors to be analyzed are the federal regulations that govern truckers nationwide. If the results of the investigation determine that the trucker or the trucking company was in violation of one or more federal laws, the violator(s) can be held legally liable for the collision which led to injury or death.
The following are some of the important federal regulations that play a role in determining who should be held liable for a truck accident:
- Hours of Service (HOS): By putting limits on the amount of time a trucker can be working, the government can effectively prevent an accident caused by fatigue. As part of HOS regulations, log books – which include detailed entries of a truck driver’s time spent driving – are required. Unfortunately, some trucking companies continue to demand their drivers to break the rules in order to meet deadlines faster.
- Weight Limits: Commercial semi-trucks can have no more than 80,000 pounds total, including cargo weight. Cargo loads that exceed the federal weight limits are considered to be too hazardous to drive and could result in an accident.
- Commercial Driver’s License: A CDL can only be granted if the driver has completed special training and passed an arduous set of tests. According to the regulations, commercial trucks and cargo loads that are considered more dangerous to transport require additional training. Violations can lead to the loss of CDL, making truckers ineligible to continue working.
These are just a few of the many federal regulations that could play a role in your truck accident case. Let a New Orleans personal injury attorney determine if the parties involved in the accident violated any of these federal regulations.
Schedule A Free Consultation With An Attorney At Our Award-Winning Law Firm Today
Have you been injured in a truck accident in Louisiana? If so, seek legal representation from an experienced 18 wheeler accident lawyer at the Cossé Law Firm today. Our attorneys have over 20 years of experience representing clients in various practice areas, including car accidents, motorcycle accidents, product liability cases, and wrongful death claims. Let us fight to recover the compensation that you deserve.
New clients are encouraged to schedule a free consultation, where an injury lawyer will review their case, answer their questions, and discuss fees. To schedule a no-cost consultation, please contact us by phone at 504-588-9500 or by filling out the online form on our website.